Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Reunion


I have a high school reunion coming up this summer in Bismarck, North Dakota.  The deadline for registration is May 1.  I haven't registered yet as I'm still waiting to see what the spring will bring.   Recently, a classmate sent me a message, through the website created for the event, asking if I was the one who dated so-and-so.  I honestly couldn't remember having dated the person in question (gives a hint as to how long ago this was) and I answered that I remembered being friends with him but not dating him (and apologized to him if I had) and then gave a brief answer as to my activities in high school to help the emailer identify me.

He had the right person (and apparently my apology to so-and-so was merited) and then went on to ask me about my spiritual beliefs because in high school I was a self-professed "athiest".  Here, I should explain how I came to be an athiest at such a tender age, suffice it to say, it would take too long and the truth is I was at the beginning of my spiritual evolution.  First, we tear down, clear a space -- then Truth has somewhere to begin its growth.

In any event, that led to a series of emails between us where he assured me he wasn't judging me, then asked me about my spiritual beliefs now and told me I was "incorrect" years earlier.  Hmmm.   Basically, he has a Christian faith that he wishes everyone would adopt. 

Since all faiths are welcome to practice Vedic Meditation, I acknowledged his spiritual path and then asked the following question to illustrate my current spiritual understanding: 

God is omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent - how can we not be wholly God?

He replied "Do you see yourself being omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent?"   A challenge that I answered so that he could understand.  

The simple answer can only be elicited by worthy inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment