Monday, September 28, 2009

Atonement


The Jewish faith respects Yom Kippur today.
Yom Kippur is the tenth day of the month of Tishrei. According to Jewish tradition, God inscribes each person's fate for the coming year into a "book" on Rosh Hashanah and waits until Yom Kippur to "seal" the verdict. During the Days of Awe, a Jew tries to amend his or her behavior and seek forgiveness for wrongs done against God (bein adam leMakom) and against other human beings (bein adam lechavero). The evening and day of Yom Kippur are set aside for public and private petitions and confessions of guilt (Vidui). At the end of Yom Kippur, one considers one's self absolved by God.

In Hinduism, this same time period also coincides with the New Year and a celebration of righteousness over evil. It begins with Navaratri, nine days of fast, during which there is the holy Durga Puja (Durga is the most important incarnation of Mother Divine) and finally on the 10th day, Dusshera, the new year is celebrated as Durga leaves for Mount Kailash, the abode of her husband Shiva, and it’s time for “Bijoya” or Vijayadashami, when people visit each other’s homes, hug each other and exchange sweets.


I have been taught in my Vedic studies that good vs. evil is not possible, because there is only That which is One thing and anything labeled "good" and anything labeled "evil" are also That. I resonate with this logic but also in my heart believe that we, as individuals, know how to recognize "spontaneous right action". I know, in my heart, what causes pain to individuals and to a community at large, thus sapping their adaptation energy - in my evolutionary state, I will be the one to adapt and I will not drain the resources of others.


This year I know of nothing for which I must atone. I welcome anyone who feels otherwise to email me directly at sanora@vedicmeditationteacher.com - I will gladly welcome the course correction.

No comments:

Post a Comment